The Italian Meatballs recipe in Rich Tomato Sauce is our trump card dish
Our guest house in Midrand is all about the homely environment and home-style cuisine. Hence, this Italian Meatballs recipe is a perfect dish to make our guests feel at home. Because we all remember our Mom’s best pasta dish she made us when we were kids.
In fact, you can probably recall the smell and taste of the favourite dish your Mom made right now, don’t you? Well, without further ado, we’ll let you indulge yourself in this brilliant recipe. Buon Apetito!
Italian Meatballs in Rich Tomato Sauce recipe
- 2 pan
- 1 mixing bowl large
- 1 chopping board
- 1 knife
- 1 Rolling Pin to crush the biscuits
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 pair of tongs
Ingredients for Meatballs
- 600-650 g Topside Mince 1x pack
- 6 pcs Cream Crackers Biscuits crushed to fine crumbs
- 6 pcs Pro Vita Biscuits crushed to fine crumbs
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary finely chopped
- 30 ml German Mustard
- 30 mg Dried Oregano
- 2 whole Eggs
- Ground Salt and Ground Black Pepper as needed
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 large Onion chooped
- 30 ml Garlic crushed
- 1 pcs Chili finely chopped
- 800 g Diced Italian Tomato
- 115 g Tomato Paste
- 375 ml Passata
- 60 ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 handful Fresh Basil
Instructions for Meatballs
- Combine the Mince, Biscuit crumbs, Rosemary, Mustard, Oregano, Eggs, Salt and Pepper – Mix very well.
- Roll into approx 4cm balls – Use iced water to ease this step.
- Allow 6 pcs per person – Refrigerate until needed
- Heat pans to medium heat add 50 ml Sunflower Oil / Butter to each pan
- Slowly fry Meatballs for 20 minutes – turn them constantly.
Instruction for Sauce
- Heat up a big pan to medium heat.
- Add Sunflower Oil / Butter (50 ml each) and fry onions until softened.
- Add Garlic and Chili – stir in well.
- Add the largest Basil leaves.
- Add Tomatoes, Passata and the Tomato Paste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Season with ground Salt and Black Pepper as needed – simmer gently.
- Add Meatballs to Tomato Sauce and keep simmering slowly whilst cooking Spaghetti.
- Cook Pasta as you normally would.
We recommend sprinkling a bit of Parmesan on top of your pasta and sauce. In addition, you could add a whole (small) leave of Basil on top as decoration. And that should complete this dish perfectly.
You may find more delicious recipes from the BBT Lodge kitchen on our blog’s recipe page.
If you already have a reservation and you’d like to find out about supper on the day of your arrival, please contact us via WhatsApp.